With the rapid development of the Internet of Things, people's demand for sensor technology continues to increase, hoping to achieve more rapid, effective, and accurate measurement requirements.
For example, people in the past did not pay attention to measurement technology, but more concerned about cost savings. Nowadays, in an economic society of “efficiency first, quality first”, the old cost optimization routines that used to be used have no longer be effective. We have transitioned from a world dominated by mechanical measurement principles to a digital age covered by sensor technology. More expectations.
On the other hand, digitalization has a positive impact on cost, quality, and production lead time. People can produce more and faster sensor devices for measurement. Driven by the wave of artificial intelligence, people's demand for smart sensors continues to grow in the next five years, sensors will be more intelligent and their measurements more accurate.
In the next five years, the development trend of sensors will not only be smarter in applications and more accurate in measurements, but also in the direction of faster, smaller, safer, more standard, wireless applications and self-learning.
20 types of sensor application development trends in the next five years
With the innovation of sensor technology and chip-level sensor fusion as the main axis, its upstream and downstream industries are developing rapidly. The industry believes that the sensor technology in the next five years will usher in 20 types of application development trends:
- 1. The security of sensor technology applications will be improved, and its security monitoring of things will be more sensitive because unsafe situations will be easy to predict.
- 2. Autonomous sensor technology will become possible, with an integrated power supply and long-distance wireless connection.
- 3. The sensor will self-learn during the entire service life without maintenance, modification or calibration.
- 4. New chip-level technologies are emerging. As transmitters, receivers, and printed circuit boards are getting smaller and smaller, sensor fusion will have more possibilities.
- 5. We will use synthetic sensors.
- 6. We will encounter sensor technology in all aspects of life.
- 7. Predictive maintenance of machines and equipment will become more effective, easier, cheaper, and improve uptime. In the future, maintenance will rely on sensors instead of maintenance based on a demand-based schedule.
- 8. The possibilities and application areas of robotics technology will greatly increase.
- 9. More complex inspections will be possible, technical barriers will be eliminated, and mutual forces will be formed to complete more complex inspections.
- 10. The sensor will be a highly integrated measurement module that is easy to use and can be quickly adjusted according to the application used.
- 11. Components will replace the role of human senses. Data will become more reliable and collected continuously. The data will be converted into useful information using smart software and algorithms.
- 12. We will increasingly make more decisions based on the sensor information we collect. We will no longer let things be full of opportunities.
- 13. The sensor will become a true "smart sensor": an intelligent measurement unit that can monitor itself, transmit status diagnosis to the operating system and create a reliable measurement and calibration data network.
- 14. Sensors will increasingly provide a better understanding of our behavior. This will lead us to set other requirements in terms of air quality, travel, car maintenance, lifestyle, insurance, energy consumption, etc.
- 15. Fully automatic management of livestock can be carried out, and precision agriculture will also be within reach.
- 16. Farmers’ yields will be greatly improved, enabling them to better compete with high quality and crop yields. Sensors will increasingly be used to study soil quality, climate, crops, diseases, plague, and weeds.
- 17. Farmers' (production) costs will be reduced, and working conditions in fields and stalls will be improved.
- 19. We will use more sensors to improve the environment, improve energy management and build green office buildings.
- 18. The new radar system will equip self-driving cars with true "vision".
- 19. Football, basketball, and other sports competitions will be equipped with more intelligent sensor technology.
- 20. Cities will become more intelligent and we will be able to "improve" the ecosystem. For example, flood management, air quality, cyanobacteria, parking, safety playgrounds, memorial trees will survive and soil conditions will be improved.